Simple Ways to Save on Travel

Do you have champagne travel taste and a beer budget? Then keep reading. I've compiled a list of tips to help you save on your next trip.



1. Student Universe isn't JUST for students
Did you know you that Student Universe offers discounted flights for youth (16 - 25), adults and faculty? I saved over $300 on my trip to Madrid last fall by booking with Student Universe! They also offer travel insurance which might seem costly upfront but will likely benefit you in the long run. 

2. Ask for a better rate.
I'm not joking. Get a deal on a last minute hotel room simply by asking for a better rate. The last time I booked a hotel I asked for the price on a specific room. I was told $179. I knew since the hotel wasn't at capacity they'd probably be willing to negotiate. I asked every so sweetly, is that your best rate? The clerk came back with $139!

3. Use public transportation
Rental car fees and taxi fares can add up quickly. Explore a new city by bus or metro and you'll feel more like a local while saving green and living green.

4. Bring friends
Split the gas money and hotel rate 4 ways. Sure you might be packed like sardines in the back seat, but it'll only make for better memories.

5. Sign up for fare alerts
Sites like airfarewatchdog.com will send you emails when fares to your favorite destinations drop. You can also search for flights within a range of dates to find the lowest possible price.

And don't forget: You can always make money. You can't always make memories.